Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

solar wrote a year ago: 1

Brit  ... noticed in one of my latest  PBS Masterpiece newsletters  that there is more Atticus Pund coming.  Moonflower Murders  is gonna be the sequel  to  Magpie  Murders  and Susan  Ryeland will also be back .  Magpie Murders  was a huge  success with high praise coming from  L.A. Times  '  It has everything you want in a British  mystery ' . .   No doubt it will hit the streaming services first  (  Magpie was streamed  over  3  million  times )   don't know when it will  be shown on  PBS  Masterpiece .  

PandaRed wrote a year ago: 2

Luther has always been a fave of mine, Edris Elba is fantastic <3! I was very glad to hear about the new series he was in :)

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

@solar wrote:
Brit  ... noticed in one of my latest  PBS Masterpiece newsletters  that there is more Atticus Pund coming.  Moonflower Murders  is gonna be the sequel  to  Magpie  Murders  and Susan  Ryeland will also be back .  Magpie Murders  was a huge  success with high praise coming from  L.A. Times  '  It has everything you want in a British  mystery ' . .   No doubt it will hit the streaming services first  (  Magpie was streamed  over  3  million  times )   don't know when it will  be shown on  PBS  Masterpiece .  

Soler, I am so pleased about this! I think since PBS announced it first, it is going straight to them for TV viewing, although Passport/PBS streaming members may get a crack at seeing it first before it officially airs. This is the best new cozy mystery series (imo) we have seen in a long time. Light on blood and gore, with interesting characters and intricate storylines that make you think. Thank goodness for Anthony Horowitz, we were sorely missing TV viewing in this genre. 

Spoilers... Finished E5&6 of Marcella last night - E5 was particularly good. Friel's performance is what drives this story. I realize there is some controversy about S3 because it is so out there, but it has grabbed my attention and I am so glad I watched it first. 

The Mayor and young women thrown off the balcony have not been mentioned again - I am glad it wasn't, I really didn't want to go down the path of watching the Mayor's demise. We get the picture, the Mayor has been taken out as a threat - the participating witness has been thrown overboard literally, so no help for him there and now Katherine is in full control of local politics so she can traffic people through the port and in truck containers to her hearts content. Disgusting and horrid. 

Funny thing, you notice that Stacey wanted painful, torturous revenge for Bobby's murder (when she thought it was an outside competitor/force) she was so distraught about his death - yet, it was quite okay with her for him to kill people with no mercy or thought of human life as long as he didn't get in trouble for it and everything was hunky dory in her life. The fact that her husband was a sadistic killer was a-okay, who cares about the families he left grieving with loss in his wake, but let her have to deal with the pain of loss, oh no. It is always okay when it is someone else on the receiving end. I feel no compassion for her and her situation because she doesn't deserve an iota of it. How she could have ever gone near that man, much less married him, boggles the mind - even with a family like her's.

You can see that Katherine is getting weaker and she knows it. Even she can't stop time. The turf wars have begun. 

solar wrote a year ago: 2

2 more eps. ta go Brit ......  I LIKE  what happens to  Katherine .    LOL   

For "Vera" fans...Season 12 will be aired January 29th on Britbox. Will be watching as soon as it drops. I still haven't watched Jimmy P's. last season of 'Shetland" - I keep putting it off, but I am diving right in with Vera - so happy to have her back on the screen with new episodes. The series never disappoints.

I have been watching Walter Presents', "Astrid" on PBS. It is a French production (didn't realize it until I started watching)... it is very good, I am really enjoying it. The dialogue in the series is great for a beginner French speaker as it is clearly spoken and basic conversation. I am finding that watching is helping me to reinforce what I do know and pick-up phrases that will be useful. 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 2

Looking forward to Vera.

Glad there will be a follow on to Magpie Murders.

Anyone watch Short Film Showcase on Acorn? 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

Oh how lovely to see Vera again.

Listen for a few notes from the Unforgotten theme at 2:02.

@deedee713 wrote:
Oh how lovely to see Vera again.

Listen for a few notes from the Unforgotten theme at 2:02.

It was a good episode wasn't it! Lots of red herrings, I had a feeling about who did it early on, but there were so many twists and turns I kept second guessing myself. Never in a million years would I have expected that ending - between the wife and the best friend - whoa... gees, shocking on both accounts.

Vera was in good form, but seemed a little grumpier to me. Did you see what she did to Aiden?! The poor man never gets to eat! 😀

I was hoping that we would get a scene with her at home, I miss those moody moments at her cottage - it use to be so nice when Joe would stop by for a beer with her or we saw her sit with a whiskey and her dinner pondering her day. I really like Aiden, but most of the personal life glimpses we use to get left when he came on board. It wouldn't kill them to write a few "at home" moments in to the story (again) now and then.

Can't say I am sad to see Malcolm leave - he eventually grew on me, but barely. I am not a fan. Personally, I wish they would bring Marcus back, Why they ever got rid of him I'll never understand. No one could replace Billy, but he was great in the role.

A women will be taking Malcolm's place, we will have to see how that works out 'cause Vera doesn't always get along well with her female coworkers. She drove out both Holly and Shep, two of my favs. Both were excellent at their jobs and she seemed to always find something to poke them with. In recent seasons Jac has fared better with her, they work well together and I can't remember her getting annoyed with her (more than the others).

We are off to a great start, can't wait until next week! I will go back and listen for the Unforgotten theme.

PS. Deedee, I don't have Acorn anymore... the Short Film Showcase sounds interesting though.

@BritMystery wrote:
It was a good episode wasn't it! Lots of red herrings, I had a feeling about who did it early on, but there were so many twists and turns I kept second guessing myself. Never in a million years would I have expected that ending - between the wife and the best friend - whoa... gees, shocking on both accounts.

Vera was in good form, but seemed a little grumpier to me. Did you see what she did to Aiden?! The poor man never gets to eat! 😀

I was hoping that we would get a scene with her at home, I miss those moody moments at her cottage - it use to be so nice when Joe would stop by for a beer with her or we saw her sit with a whiskey and her dinner pondering her day. I really like Aiden, but most of the personal life glimpses we use to get left when he came on board. It wouldn't kill them to write a few "at home" moments in to the story (again) now and then.

Can't say I am sad to see Malcolm leave - he eventually grew on me, but barely. I am not a fan. Personally, I wish they would bring Marcus back, Why they ever got rid of him I'll never understand. No one could replace Billy, but he was great in the role.

A women will be taking Malcolm's place, we will have to see how that works out 'cause Vera doesn't always get along well with her female coworkers. She drove out both Holly and Shep, two of my favs. Both were excellent at their jobs and she seemed to always find something to poke them with. In recent seasons Jac has fared better with her, they work well together and I can't remember her getting annoyed with her (more than the others).

We are off to a great start, can't wait until next week! I will go back and listen for the Unforgotten theme.

PS. Deedee, I don't have Acorn anymore... the Short Film Showcase sounds interesting though.

LOL, I thought I knew twice and was wrong both times. But I did guess the 'why'.
Darn, I missed what she did to Aiden. And you're right with her not being at home, and us getting to see her house and her with the whiskey, and talking to Joe. Aiden could fit in that role nicely.

I too would have liked to see Vera and Malcolm mellow with each other. It's sad that Billy passed away. 

There is a nice vibe on the show, but yes those you mentioned were welcome characters.

I didn't realize all the episodes weren't uploaded by Acorn, so I can't binge! And, I just realized what you said - so Vera is on both Britbox and Acorn, how funny.

The Short Film Showcase was very, very good, episodes (some better than others) of about 15 minutes with people you and I know and I can't remember their names, as usual. The one episode I wish someone had seen was 'Joey' with a favorite of mine, John Simm - I didn't understand it, at........all!!!

Also funny, the Unforgotten theme is in my brain, much as the Morse theme is. Much like River, I won't watch any of them again, especially now that I finally watched the River finale.

@deedee713 wrote:
LOL, I thought I knew twice and was wrong both times. But I did guess the 'why'.
Darn, I missed what she did to Aiden. And you're right with her not being at home, and us getting to see her house and her with the whiskey, and talking to Joe. Aiden could fit in that role nicely.

I too would have liked to see Vera and Malcolm mellow with each other. It's sad that Billy passed away. 

There is a nice vibe on the show, but yes those you mentioned were welcome characters.

I didn't realize all the episodes weren't uploaded by Acorn, so I can't binge! And, I just realized what you said - so Vera is on both Britbox and Acorn, how funny.

The Short Film Showcase was very, very good, episodes (some better than others) of about 15 minutes with people you and I know and I can't remember their names, as usual. The one episode I wish someone had seen was 'Joey' with a favorite of mine, John Simm - I didn't understand it, at........all!!!

Also funny, the Unforgotten theme is in my brain, much as the Morse theme is. Much like River, I won't watch any of them again, especially now that I finally watched the River finale.

You guessed the "why"! Boy, two thumbs up to you! 

So agree that Aiden is a good fit with Vera and imo they could expand his role even more as they did with Joe. He is really lovely with her. 

You know what she did to him - it was a subtle move on her part, I had to rewind and watch it twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw - he comes in with a brown bag, obviously his lunch and puts it down on the end of his desk just as she comes out of her office to start an impromptu (or so it seemed) investigation update with the team. She spies the brown bag, goes over to his desk, picks it up and opens it - wait for it - grabs half the sandwich inside and eats it as she is talking to the crew! Didn't even look at what kind of sandwich it was - like it was nothing, she carries on talking and eating HIS lunch. He is looking at her like what the hell... she has done this before - it's not the first time - and he says not a word as she continues to munch on the half sandwich, finishes her update, gives out further assignments and walks away with the bag (and I would imagine the remaining half of the sandwich) back to her office! You have to have huge "you know what's" to pull a stunt like that one. 

He is so good with her, he has the right temperament to be her sidekick. I will also say, he does speak up if she really crosses the line, there are times where we have seen him do it. I give him credit for that. But... as one can see, in that office your lunch is up for grabs! 😄

The team as a whole is like a well oiled machine at this point, they are one of the best (teams) of all the TV detective series. As you say, the vibe is very good. It is always a pleasure to see them work together.

I didn't mean to confuse you Deedee, I don't think Vera is on Acorn at all anymore - Britbox got S7 right before the S12 premier, which was the only season that Acorn had left in their inventory.

I am kind of glad that Britbox is letting the episodes out slowly at one a week, this is one show that you want the season to last as long as it can, so it forces you to take it slow.

Soler, I don't want to get your hopes up too high (and you may already know this) I read an article the other day about 'Last Tango in Halifax" and from what I read Sally Wainwright is up for writing another season. She finished the last season of "Happy Valley" (so that is put to bed) and she says she has storylines whirling in her head for the Last Tango characters, so it may be a real possibility. I'd like to see where the characters all wind up, because this would have to the the finale of the series if she is able to pull it off. The fact that she wants to do it is one thing, getting all the principal actors back together is another. At this point that (to me) would be the stumbling block.

Speaking of "Happy Valley", I found a show on BBC Radio (BBC Sounds) called "Obsessed with Happy Valley" where the two hosts discuss S3, episode by episode. It hasn't been aired in the US as yet, but they are up to E5 in the UK. So expect spoilers to abound. This is the reason I listened to E1, I have been toying with the idea to watch this last season because the series has so much good buzz... people love it (I know Soler does) and I was thinking of just diving in. Well, after hearing the discussion of the opening episode I am going to leave the series right where it is - way too much for me. I am making it through "Marcella", but outside of a character or two in this series, there are none I find the least bit sympathetic, so I can deal. Happy Valley world sounds so unpleasant (I am staying quiet here not to spoil anything) that I have no desire to "see" it played out.

If anyone is interested in listening, I will warn you that the hosts get silly at times and it can get annoying when you are trying to follow the discussion, but they do get down to it. It actually gave me a good understanding of the storyline without having to watch it (allowing me to be arms distance, I have the benefit of hearing the story without the palpitations associated with watching). Since I am a huge audiobook person, this works for me.

@BritMystery wrote:
You guessed the "why"! Boy, two thumbs up to you! 

So agree that Aiden is a good fit with Vera and imo they could expand his role even more as they did with Joe. He is really lovely with her. 

You know what she did to him - it was a subtle move on her part, I had to rewind and watch it twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw - he comes in with a brown bag, obviously his lunch and puts it down on the end of his desk just as she comes out of her office to start an impromptu (or so it seemed) investigation update with the team. She spies the brown bag, goes over to his desk, picks it up and opens it - wait for it - grabs half the sandwich inside and eats it as she is talking to the crew! Didn't even look at what kind of sandwich it was - like it was nothing, she carries on talking and eating HIS lunch. He is looking at her like what the hell... she has done this before - it's not the first time - and he says not a word as she continues to munch on the half sandwich, finishes her update, gives out further assignments and walks away with the bag (and I would imagine the remaining half of the sandwich) back to her office! You have to have huge "you know what's" to pull a stunt like that one. 

He is so good with her, he has the right temperament to be her sidekick. I will also say, he does speak up if she really crosses the line, there are times where we have seen him do it. I give him credit for that. But... as one can see, in that office your lunch is up for grabs! 😄

The team as a whole is like a well oiled machine at this point, they are one of the best (teams) of all the TV detective series. As you say, the vibe is very good. It is always a pleasure to see them work together.

I didn't mean to confuse you Deedee, I don't think Vera is on Acorn at all anymore - Britbox got S7 right before the S12 premier, which was the only season that Acorn had left in their inventory.

I am kind of glad that Britbox is letting the episodes out slowly at one a week, this is one show that you want the season to last as long as it can, so it forces you to take it slow.

Ah I didn’t see Aiden come in with the bag. Subtle interchanges, I love them. I did not recognize what she brought to Malcolm as a going away - it was a ‘something’ bap, so it was a sandwich (bap is a roll) but I can’t remember the other word. 

Acorn is where I saw Vera, and checked out Britbox too. It’s there as well. You have a point about doling it out, it is that good. 

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 2

@deedee713 wrote:
Ah I didn’t see Aiden come in with the bag. Subtle interchanges, I love them. I did not recognize what she brought to Malcolm as a going away - it was a ‘something’ bap, so it was a sandwich (bap is a roll) but I can’t remember the other word. 

Acorn is where I saw Vera, and checked out Britbox too. It’s there as well. You have a point about doling it out, it is that good. 

Deedee, I think it was a bacon sandwich. 

I was off base about Acorn, obviously they are still airing Vera!

I was unaware of this... just learned that there are codes for British entertainment on Netflix. You put these codes in the search box and all the corresponding shows/movies pop up. I did it for British TV shows and then went through the list and clicked on those that interested me (that I haven't seen) and added them to my viewing list to check out further at a later date.

Surprising thing is you think you know all the Brit shows available, yet there may be something you missed or saw listed briefly and then forgot. 

10757 - British movies 
52117 - British TV shows 
1527064 - British family fare

Yeah  Brit  ...   This is good news on the  Last Tango  front . Fingers crossed it's true and that Wainwright  works towards pulling this off .  All series need a finale just to give it a sense of closure.  You're right ,  getting the full cast back together would be a big job if not imposible  and ya wouldn't want ta see a finale that left some one out because they have commitments they can't break . 

Wouldn't mind listening to a Happy Valley  pod cast .   Brit ,  It's a rough and tumble hard core police drama  (  other end of the spectrum from  Midsomer  lol)   Whenever I saw  an ep. I always remarked to myself of how good a fit Sarah Lancashire is as  Catherine  Cawood .  

Hang in there with Marcella , even through all the nasty characters ....  when I got to the end I had  good , happy feeling about how she ended up. 

Forgot to add above ,  Siobhan Finneran is in  Happy Valley  as  Clare Cartwright  ,  remember her as  the scheming  O'Brien  in  Downton Abbey .

Siobhan is pronounced  Shiv awn   .....  must be a Welsh name , as many Welsh words  have a far different spelling that how they are pronounced .  Love this edit  feature .  

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Brit  wrote : 

I was unaware of this... just learned that there are codes for British entertainment on Netflix.

Same here ,  Brit  ..  had  no  idea .  I feel like a kid with a new  toy  .  LOL  

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 2

Very cool. thanks, Brit will use the code. Netflix is one of the worst to find decent British programming.

HOW did you find this?

Hated both Happy Valley and Last Tango.

tash845 wrote a year ago: 2

@BritMystery  @deedee713  @solar  wrote:

I was unaware of this... just learned that there are codes for British entertainment on Netflix. You put these codes in the search box and all the corresponding shows/movies pop up. I did it for British TV shows and then went through the list and clicked on those that interested me (that I haven't seen) and added them to my viewing list to check out further at a later date.

Surprising thing is you think you know all the Brit shows available, yet there may be something you missed or saw listed briefly and then forgot. 

10757 - British movies 
52117 - British TV shows 
1527064 - British family fare

@BritMystery  Thanks for the info. We use Amazon Prime for our British programs and Channel 13 (the app) on our smart tv.

We share a Netflix account. So, just put the code into the Search box? Will have to try it. Found info. at:

https:www.cloudwards.net/netflix-secret-codes/

Scroll to the bottom of the page for all the codes. 

Happy weekend! Cold in NY! 

Happy  Polar Vortex   weekend .    ..  tash  :)

Try 30 days of free premium.