Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

solar wrote a year ago: 1

tash   : 

@solar, we could of started with S3, I kinda wish we had. And yes, a completely different world. 

tash  ... I've gotten so curious about  the big turn around  that happened in  Marcella  , I've decided to  watch it again , starting with  S1 E1   ,  saw  the  ' big turn '  first time , now I'll pay  close attention to see how they could have handled it different .  

tash845 wrote a year ago: 1

@solar wrote:
tash   : 

@solar, we could of started with S3, I kinda wish we had. And yes, a completely different world. 

tash  ... I've gotten so curious about  the big turn around  that happened in  Marcella  , I've decided to  watch it again , starting with  S1 E1   ,  saw  the  ' big turn '  first time , now I'll pay  close attention to see how they could have handled it different .  

@solar: Unpredictable. That’s all I’m going to say. 😉

Did a Marcella  binge of  S1 & 2  on week-end  ...   been a while since  I view the first time  (  admit , me  thinks I missed a few eps the first go around  ,  lol  )  now understand what happened .  The reason for such a change between S1, 2  and  S3  is that she left  London Metropolitan Police  ( faked her own death )  and was recruited  for undercover  to infiltrate  a crime family running the drug  trade in  Belfast Northern Ireland .  For this she changed her name and hair color ( now  blonde )  Her old boss at London Met. did not know about recruitment  and was surprised to see her show up in surveillance photos taken of  family members .   Still , it has that feeling of two different shows and can't think of where this has been done so drastically before.  She  is a troubled woman suffering from  black outs  and violent  outbursts that she dosen't remember after words.  Under therapy ,  source of problem seems to go back to  infant daughters death .   Complicated , intense show  that at time seems confusing with many plots and and subplots .  Not a watch  that was a waste of time though ,   will finish  S3  by tomorrow , I guess .  

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

@solar wrote:
Did a Marcella  binge of  S1 & 2  on week-end  ...   been a while since  I view the first time  (  admit , me  thinks I missed a few eps the first go around  ,  lol  )  now understand what happened .  The reason for such a change between S1, 2  and  S3  is that she left  London Metropolitan Police  ( faked her own death )  and was recruited  for undercover  to infiltrate  a crime family running the drug  trade in  Belfast Northern Ireland .  For this she changed her name and hair color ( now  blonde )  Her old boss at London Met. did not know about recruitment  and was surprised to see her show up in surveillance photos taken of  family members .   Still , it has that feeling of two different shows and can't think of where this has been done so drastically before.  She  is a troubled woman suffering from  black outs  and violent  outbursts that she dosen't remember after words.  Under therapy ,  source of problem seems to go back to  infant daughters death .   Complicated , intense show  that at time seems confusing with many plots and and subplots .  Not a watch  that was a waste of time though ,   will finish  S3  by tomorrow , I guess .  

Soler, finished E1&2 of S3 this weekend. This story is a ride, off the rails to be certain, but I think that is what it is meant to be. Marcella (herself) is compelling, more so than any other aspect of the series - she is what is holding the storyline together and my attention.  

She has gone deep in to the Keira persona, so much so, that there is little of her old self left it seems, at least on the surface. Yet you can see how her old life is haunting her and pulling at her -  I do think she is liking (enjoying is too strong a word) the material aspects of her new identity. The lifestyle itself is enticing. Everything else is a horror. She is living with sub-humans and the tenacity she has to survive them is remarkable. She should have never been placed in this situation given her metal health - this is a person who is borderline sane on a good day - life for her is largely agony - my take away is she is being used by the individual she is working for/with. I haven't figured out what his story is as yet, but there is one, and Marcella is his bullet.

On the other hand, even without the benefit of watching S1&2, my sense is that she could never go back to her old life, that the only thing that is keeping her alive and moving forward is the fact that she stepped in to this new life and left the old. I have read enough to know that everyone thinks Marcella is dead (I didn't know she faked her own death - thanks for the info) so going back would actually be resurrecting herself - not really feasible. Although, much of this storyline, even with only two episodes in, seems to me to be walking a fine line of believability - so I won't say it couldn't happen. Lord, can you imagine what that would unleash (if she walked back in to her Marcella life)? 

The head honcho brother Rory is taking more than a passing interest in Keira, this is going to be interesting moving forward as Finn is not about to like that one bit. 

On to E3.

@appara wrote:
I have 3 shows in a row on Sunday - Miss Scarlet - All Creatures - Vienna Blood.  

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't have a streaming service, but I will keep an ear to the ground for Marcella on one of my local channels. 

@appara, one of my local PBS stations is running S5 of The Seaside Hotel. Popped-up out of nowhere with another new "Walter Presents'" series (to me) Astrid. I am DVRing them both to watch later as I have a lot on my TV viewing plate at the moment.

I don't remember seeing S4 airing - the last season I watched was S3. They had to have run it, but it must have been months (and months) back and I was caught up with life and missed it.

solar wrote a year ago: 2

@BritMystery  She has gone deep in to the Keira persona, so much so, that there is little of her old self left it seems, at least on the surface. 

my sense is that she could never go back to her old life, that the only thing that is keeping her alive and moving forward is the fact that she stepped in to this new life and left the old.

Yes Brit ... agree ,  seems she is running from her old life  and using Keira persona as an escape route .  Don't want to say anything more as I'm afraid of giving something away .  lol    enjoy the rest of S3  ....   will say this , liked the ending , therapy come in an  unsuspecting way  and I was happy to see that for her. 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

@appara wrote:
I have 3 shows in a row on Sunday - Miss Scarlet - All Creatures - Vienna Blood.  

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't have a streaming service, but I will keep an ear to the ground for Marcella on one of my local channels. 

Thank you, appara. PBS Passport has the entire season/series of Vienna Blood.

Deedee, have you finished "Strike'? I watched the first episode of S4, will get back to it shortly - I tend to drag my viewing out a bit so I don't finish it right away. Besides Strike I am watching "Jack Ryan" on Prime (and "Marcella" S3 on Netflix as discussed above). Heard rave reviews about S3 of Jack Ryan so I gave it a shot even though it is not my usual thing. It's a spy thriller. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is great, but it's good, it moves fast and keeps my attention. 

The first episode didn't grab me and I was thinking what were these people talking about, it can't be this. Then I got curious about what was going to happen next, so I gave it one more episode just to see where it was going. Second episode was much better and it has gotten better with each as it continues. I am up to the final which I plan on watching tonight. I don't know if it's your thing, but you might want to check it out.

@solar wrote:
@BritMystery  She has gone deep in to the Keira persona, so much so, that there is little of her old self left it seems, at least on the surface. 

my sense is that she could never go back to her old life, that the only thing that is keeping her alive and moving forward is the fact that she stepped in to this new life and left the old.

Yes Brit ... agree ,  seems she is running from her old life  and using Keira persona as an escape route .  Don't want to say anything more as I'm afraid of giving something away .  lol    enjoy the rest of S3  ....   will say this , liked the ending , therapy come in an  unsuspecting way  and I was happy to see that for her. 

Soler, I finished E3 & 4... Spoilers ..... these people are brutal beyond belief, they are right up there with the South American drug cartels - everyone is expendable, human life has no meaning to them. The mother Katherine is a complete psychopath - omg, it is frightening to think people like her walk this earth.

The storyline is compelling and even with the level of violence it keeps pulling you in. At this point, so many people have been killed, including Bobby (no idea yet who killed him, although I have the feeling that the "family" is involved... and what Katherine did to the Mayor (and the reporter) - oh, God. Jeez. We will see how that all ends up next episode. There is so much destruction left in the Maguire families wake. 

Through it all Marcella carries on. Based on her interview with her old colleague, who thankfully did not give her away, she is deep in to the Keira persona. Even he realizes he is dealing with someone who is completely broken. Have to say though, she functions at a very high level as Keira. It is extraordinary when you think of what she is enduring. Her innate sense of survival and ability to think on her feet is what is keeping her alive.

@BritMystery wrote:
Deedee, have you finished "Strike'? I watched the first episode of S4, will get back to it shortly - I tend to drag my viewing out a bit so I don't finish it right away. Besides Strike I am watching "Jack Ryan" on Prime (and "Marcella" S3 on Netflix as discussed above). Heard rave reviews about S3 of Jack Ryan so I gave it a shot even though it is not my usual thing. It's a spy thriller. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is great, but it's good, it moves fast and keeps my attention. 

The first episode didn't grab me and I was thinking what were these people talking about, it can't be this. Then I got curious about what was going to happen next, so I gave it one more episode just to see where it was going. Second episode was much better and it has gotten better with each as it continues. I am up to the final which I plan on watching tonight. I don't know if it's your thing, but you might want to check it out.

I did finish the 4 seasons of Strike. The 5th is not yet on HBO Max. It was pretty good.

I remember watching Jack Ryan ages ago, sounds like I have to give it another try. 

One find on Amazon Prime I did enjoy very much was A Man Called Ove, the Swedish version.

@deedee713 wrote:
I did finish the 4 seasons of Strike. The 5th is not yet on HBO Max. It was pretty good.

I remember watching Jack Ryan ages ago, sounds like I have to give it another try. 

One find on Amazon Prime I did enjoy very much was A Man Called Ove, the Swedish version.

You beat me to the finish line! I am getting back to it (Strike) as I need a respite from Marcella before I carry on. In the first episode (where I left off) there was a lot of tug and pull between Cormoran and Robin regarding their feelings for one another, by the end of the episode the investigation was moving in to the forefront and I am assuming that will be going full force in E2. It looks to be another complex, layered story. Two thumbs up to that. 

I am a Rolf Lassgard fan - "A Man Called Ove" has been on my list forever, I just keep getting sidetracked.  RL was also a good Wallander.... in fact, he had the role before Krister Henriksson. His version was very different from Krister's - who will always reign supreme when it comes to Wallander, no one can touch him - but it was quite good. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. He also played police profiler Sebastian Bergman in a series and again, I thoroughly enjoyed it. He has that special something that makes him so endearing on screen. You kind of find yourself falling for him a little no matter what role he plays (at least in those I have seen).

@BritMystery wrote:
You beat me to the finish line! I am getting back to it (Strike) as I need a respite from Marcella before I carry on. In the first episode (where I left off) there was a lot of tug and pull between Cormoran and Robin regarding their feelings for one another, by the end of the episode the investigation was moving in to the forefront and I am assuming that will be going full force in E2. It looks to be another complex, layered story. Two thumbs up to that. 

I am a Rolf Lassgard fan - "A Man Called Ove" has been on my list forever, I just keep getting sidetracked.  RL was also a good Wallander.... in fact, he had the role before Krister Henriksson. His version was very different from Krister's - who will always reign supreme when it comes to Wallander, no one can touch him - but it was quite good. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. He also played police profiler Sebastian Bergman in a series and again, I thoroughly enjoyed it. He has that special something that makes him so endearing on screen. You kind of find yourself falling for him a little no matter what role he plays (at least in those I have seen).

Brit, I've never seen Rolf Lassgard before. Where have you seen him as Wallander, on MHz?

I also saw the finale (I guess I couldn't bear it the first go around, as I didn't remember it) of River on tv, I couldn't bear bingeing the series (too sad) on PBS Passport. Nicola Walker can do no wrong, with the exception of accepting the part in Last Tango.

@deedee713 wrote:
Brit, I've never seen Rolf Lassgard before. Where have you seen him as Wallander, on MHz?

I also saw the finale (I guess I couldn't bear it the first go around, as I didn't remember it) of River on tv, I couldn't bear bingeing the series (too sad) on PBS Passport. Nicola Walker can do no wrong, with the exception of accepting the part in Last Tango.

Yes, Deedee it was back in my MHz days... we all loved Rolf after they aired his Wallander series - as I said, he is so endearing everyone fell in love with him, so they (at MHz) bought the rights to "Sebastian Bergman" and that was another big hit with the group (this was back in the beginning of MHz when there was a FB page where we all interacted regularly, it was very much a team effort in those days). Rolf is just lovely. His Wallander portrayal was very different to Krister's and Branagh's as I remember it, his character had less angst, was a bit softer around the edges. 

Both "Wallander" and "Sebastian Bergman" are more in keeping with the style of the early "Beck" series. BTW, I recently saw Peter Haber, who played Martin Beck in that series in something I watched, can't remember what (if you want to know I'll look back and find it) - I almost did not recognize him, my goodness he has aged (just like the rest of us😉). Of course I am thinking of him back in his Beck and "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" days, none of us look the way we did ten/fifteen years ago (Beck goes back to 1997!). Oh, it was the movie "Britt-Marie was Here" that I saw him recently. 

Another interesting tidbit, speaking of Beck... Rolf also played Gunvald Larsson in an earlier version of the Sjowall Wahoo, Martin Beck books. These were more closely associated with the written stories (the BBC audiobooks of the Sjowall Wahoo series is exceptionally good, I have listened to them countless times) than the later Beck series. I now remember watching these as well. Loved Rolf again in the role of Gunvald. Can't say it enough, he has that special something.

I am not sure what MHz still has available to stream these days. All of these series I watched on TV and at the time they also offered them on DVD.

Regarding "River", I thought is was great the first time I watched it, I made the mistake to watch it again and it paled to me on the second viewing as I noticed flaws in the storyline. I should have left it as a one and done. I so agree, Nicola can do no wrong and please sit for this, I don't want you falling over, that includes her "Last Tango in Halifax" gig.

The beauty of her as an actor is her range - she took on the Last Tango role and made it her own. You know (you may want to stay seated for this one 😁) Soler are you there?? - I am thinking of rewatching the first season of Last Tango again! That first season was so charming when they first met each other (again) - before Celia became the wicked witch (or we found out she had a broom in her closet that she flew around at night). By the end of S1 we all knew that Alan should have run (he did actually), but he didn't keep running and that is where it all imploded. I say this yet I watched every episode - I couldn't stay away.  

@BritMystery wrote:
Yes, Deedee it was back in my MHz days... we all loved Rolf after they aired his Wallander series - as I said, he is so endearing everyone fell in love with him, so they (at MHz) bought the rights to "Sebastian Bergman" and that was another big hit with the group (this was back in the beginning of MHz when there was a FB page where we all interacted regularly, it was very much a team effort in those days). Rolf is just lovely. His Wallander portrayal was very different to Krister's and Branagh's as I remember it, his character had less angst, was a bit softer around the edges. 

Both "Wallander" and "Sebastian Bergman" are more in keeping with the style of the early "Beck" series. BTW, I recently saw Peter Haber, who played Martin Beck in that series in something I watched, can't remember what (if you want to know I'll look back and find it) - I almost did not recognize him, my goodness he has aged (just like the rest of us😉). Of course I am thinking of him back in his Beck and "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" days, none of us look the way we did ten/fifteen years ago (Beck goes back to 1997!). Oh, it was the movie "Britt-Marie was Here" that I saw him recently. 

Another interesting tidbit, speaking of Beck... Rolf also played Gunvald Larsson in an earlier version of the Sjowall Wahoo, Martin Beck books. These were more closely associated with the written stories (the BBC audiobooks of the Sjowall Wahoo series is exceptionally good, I have listened to them countless times) than the later Beck series. I now remember watching these as well. Loved Rolf again in the role of Gunvald. Can't say it enough, he has that special something.

I am not sure what MHz still has available to stream these days. All of these series I watched on TV and at the time they also offered them on DVD.

Regarding "River", I thought is was great the first time I watched it, I made the mistake to watch it again and it paled to me on the second viewing as I noticed flaws in the storyline. I should have left it as a one and done. I so agree, Nicola can do no wrong and please sit for this, I don't want you falling over, that includes her "Last Tango in Halifax" gig.

The beauty of her as an actor is her range - she took on the Last Tango role and made it her own. You know (you may want to stay seated for this one 😁) Soler are you there?? - I am thinking of rewatching the first season of Last Tango again! That first season was so charming when they first met each other (again) - before Celia became the wicked witch (or we found out she had a broom in her closet that she flew around at night). By the end of S1 we all knew that Alan should have run (he did actually), but he didn't keep running and that is where it all imploded. I say this yet I watched every episode - I couldn't stay away.  

Sounds like MHz was a treasure trove. Back in the day, I chose to choose streaming, and I didn't want to pay for MHz. Not sure I made the right choice.

Brit, if you liked Rolf in Wallander, you'll love him as Ove.

LOL, I know I am in a minority of one with my dislike of LT, but I dislike put upon people (feminist me, etc.), and she was no exception.

@BritMystery wrote:
The beauty of her as an actor is her range - she took on the Last Tango role and made it her own. You know (you may want to stay seated for this one 😁) Soler are you there?? - I am thinking of rewatching the first season of Last Tango again! That first season was so charming when they first met each other   ..... 

Yes Brit  ...  here I am . lol    I watch a Last Tango  ep. ...  usually on a Sat.  before a Midsomer .  Love all the characters  , even Celia  when she's not being a pain the the a**  with her  uppity attitude about who her daughter chooses to live her life with .  Even got to like John ,  Caroline's husband .  even when his scheming is so obvious .  See  Dean Andrews (  Gillian's  brother-in-law turn husband )  who is a regular in  Emmerdale .   

Just finished a show called  ' Traitors  '  (  2019   1  Season ) on  Netflex  .....   set in  London in  1946 .  It's about  U.S. / U.K. setting up  espionage networks to take on the Soviet Union at  the start of the Cold War .  Found it dull and tended to drag at times .  Noticed it because it has Keeley Hawes in it.  Just my opinion , other people might like it. 

@solar wrote:
@BritMystery wrote:
The beauty of her as an actor is her range - she took on the Last Tango role and made it her own. You know (you may want to stay seated for this one 😁) Soler are you there?? - I am thinking of rewatching the first season of Last Tango again! That first season was so charming when they first met each other   ..... 

Yes Brit  ...  here I am . lol    I watch a Last Tango  ep. ...  usually on a Sat.  before a Midsomer .  Love all the characters  , even Celia  when she's not being a pain the the a**  with her  uppity attitude about who her daughter chooses to live her life with .  Even got to like John ,  Caroline's husband .  even when his scheming is so obvious .  See  Dean Andrews (  Gillian's  brother-in-law turn husband )  who is a regular in  Emmerdale .   

Just finished a show called  ' Traitors  '  (  2019   1  Season ) on  Netflex  .....   set in  London in  1946 .  It's about  U.S. / U.K. setting up  espionage networks to take on the Soviet Union at  the start of the Cold War .  Found it dull and tended to drag at times .  Noticed it because it has Keeley Hawes in it.  Just my opinion , other people might like it. 

Bless you Soler, you are a better person than I. 🙂 

I disliked Celia by the end of S1 and that never changed. I always wished Alan would leave her, but alas, he stuck to her like glue even when doing so hurt his own family.

I liked everyone else though, even John and the girlfriend/wife never got to me like Celia. They all had some redeeming qualities and John could be so charming. The other thing that drove me crazy was Gillian's need to tell all, she caused so much havoc in her life because of it. I remember shouting to her through the TV, "shut up, stop talking". To no avail, she kept going and she paid the price for it. There are some things that are best left unsaid - she needed to move on from a very bad situation and live the rest of her life in peace. But no; she was her own worst enemy.

I recently watch a show on Netflix "Official Secrets" - the Katherine Gun story, that I thought you would like - I think it would interest you, but like "Traitors", it was so slow and dull for the first half that I hesitated to mention it. Once the legal aspect of the story starts, a little over half way through, it comes alive. The cast is very good - the mistake made was casting Keira Knightley in the lead, she is as dull as dishwater. I don't see the attraction for her because she drags down anything she is in. The superior quality of the actors surrounding her was so apparent, it made her look like an amateur. I also have to include Matt Smith as well, he had a major part and he did not click in the role for me.

I was thrilled to see a favorite actor of mine Clive Francis (first saw him in "May to December" a series from the late '80's/90's). He had a small part, but it was great to see him. He has a long, impressive resume and has had parts in so many of our favorites. 

You may want to give it a go - the issue is that though we need to know the backstory, they gave us every iota of it, which became too drawn out, but the story itself is fascinating and eye opening.

@deedee713 wrote:
Sounds like MHz was a treasure trove. Back in the day, I chose to choose streaming, and I didn't want to pay for MHz. Not sure I made the right choice.

Brit, if you liked Rolf in Wallander, you'll love him as Ove.

LOL, I know I am in a minority of one with my dislike of LT, but I dislike put upon people (feminist me, etc.), and she was no exception.

Deedee, I watched the trailer (once again), it surprises me to see him as an "older" man, he was a big teddy bear when he was younger...such a cutie. But then, weren't we all. Time marches on.

@BritMystery  wrote :

The other thing that drove me crazy was Gillian's need to tell all, she caused so much havoc in her life because of it.

Yeah  Brit  ....   noticed  that  , found it irritating .  Her need to tell Caroline ( about what happened in the barn ) and then  beg her not to tell anybody .  What is with that ...  KEEP  MOUTH  SHUT  ...  are ya listenin'  Prince Harry .   Didn't  Alan tell Celia ?  What is with this family .   

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 0

@solar wrote:
@BritMystery  wrote :

The other thing that drove me crazy was Gillian's need to tell all, she caused so much havoc in her life because of it.

Yeah  Brit  ....   noticed  that  , found it irritating .  Her need to tell Caroline ( about what happened in the barn ) and then  beg her not to tell anybody .  What is with that ...  KEEP  MOUTH  SHUT  ...  are ya listenin'  Prince Harry .   Didn't  Alan tell Celia ?  What is with this family .   

Yes, Alan did Soler. Another slap in the head moment. Some things are best left unsaid and just move on with life - all the unnecessary drama is no one's friend.  (Just in case he doesn't read here 😁send Harry an email 'cause he is pulling a Gillian and shooting himself in the foot.) 

Try 30 days of free premium.