Try 30 days of free premium.

Hate Voting: How to get rid of the problem...

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

pentar wrote:
I think IMDB has (or had) something like that, "waiting for 5 votes" message.

Also, If someone really feels the episodes are worth a 1, why do they continue watching?

that is what i thought too, if the first 3 episodes are that bad, I would never ever watch the next 7 ones :)

bungle wrote 6 years ago: 1

david wrote:
A possible "fix" could be to only show ratings when at least X people have voted. Thoughts?

this sounds like a neat idea. also maybe forbid voting on a show until it has started to air.

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

bungle wrote:
also maybe forbid voting on a show until it has started to air.

We've already covered that. Not likely to happen.

Gadfly wrote 6 years ago: 1

Not really anything you can do. Even if you check it out, they'll say something to the effect of, "Well, I thought it deserved a 1 so I voted it a 1." Then what do you do? It'd be nice if they said that they didn't see the episode and they're just engaged in "malicious voting". But it's not likely to happen.

There are solutions proposed to following up on 1 votes, but no solutions as to how to resolve the followup. The latter is what is presumably needed, and it doesn't seem to exist. Is there even a way to remove votes?

bungle wrote 6 years ago: 1

gazza911 wrote:
We've already covered that. Not likely to happen.

oh yea my bad didn't notice that. :D

Gadfly wrote:
Is there even a way to remove votes?

nope. u can only change them at present. afaik there's also no easy way of telling which ones you've voted on, without clicking on each show to find out.

bungle wrote:
nope. u can only change them at present. afaik there's also no easy way of telling which ones you've voted on, without clicking on each show to find out.

I didn't mean the original voter could remove them, but if david or Jan or whoever could remove them once it was determined they were "invalid". Whatever that means.

I guess I consider the voting system moot. If I want to watch an episode, or like it, or dislike it, the positive or negative voting doesn't affect my opinion. And I haven't heard of anyone who does let it affect their opinion. I know it's "traditional" to have voting, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't actually have any impact on much of anything. At best, it shows how many people voted (i.e., "# Votes") and how much participation the site provides that episode. Maybe if it was a scientific poll or something, but it's not: it's... well, the Internet. :)

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:
Is there even a way to remove votes?

Yes there is a way to remove your vote via API, but it is not just one click :p

Thomas wrote:
Yes there is a way to remove your vote via API, but it is not just one click :p

But can an admin or whoever remove someone else's vote?

Because if they can't, there's no point in talking about figuring out who is doing "malicious voting" if there's nothing we can do about it.

Aidan wrote 6 years ago: 1

I think the way to go is making voting even easier so that the number of votes evens out the extremes.

Would making voting available on the Watch List page be possible ?

TonyMayhew wrote 6 years ago: 1

Removing a persons vote isn't the way to go, in my opinion. How would you even know if something was a malicious vote in the first instance? As has been mentioned in this thread already, everybody likes different shows. I know plenty of people that like and highly rate many of those Real Housewife reality shows, but I wouldn't even give them a rating of 1!

The main issue is people quite simply not voting, and this is something we need to educate people to do. Look at the homepage for today and you will see in the popular shows airing tonight: The Walking Dead has 6478 followers with 349 votes, Homeland has 4586 followers with 180 votes, Timeless with 2671 followers and only 93 votes.

Maybe an article on the front page, promoting the fact that voting for a show and episodes is an important part of tvmaze in a way users of the site can get more accurate statistics on what the majority of members like and dislike?

TonyMayhew wrote:

Maybe an article on the front page, promoting the fact that voting for a show and episodes is an important part of tvmaze in a way users of the site can get more accurate statistics on what the majority of members like and dislike?

Or if this pending feature was implemented: Filter Shows by Rating

TonyMayhew wrote 6 years ago: 1

gazza911 wrote:
Or if this pending feature was implemented: Filter Shows by Rating

Filtering a show by the rating wouldn't really work on the lower rated shows that have no or very few votes tho, as the vast majority would only ever look at the ones that are already highly rated :)

TonyMayhew wrote:
Filtering a show by the rating wouldn't really work on the lower rated shows that have no or very few votes tho, as the vast majority would only ever look at the ones that are already highly rated :)

I meant that it would give people more incentive to vote if the ratings were used for something.

I think the only instance when votes should be removed if a user votes 1 on everything or if a user votes 10 on everything, then it is clearly malicious.

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
I think the only instance when votes should be removed if a user votes 1 on everything or if a user votes 10 on everything, then it is clearly malicious.

Why not? Maybe he liked all episodes so much he gave it a 10 ? ;p

Thomas wrote:
Why not? Maybe he liked all episodes so much he gave it a 10 ? ;p

I mean literally on every episode he votes on, not just one show :)

Jan wrote 6 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:

Except we've already confirmed that it's not happening...

Jan wrote:
Except we've already confirmed that it's not happening...

yes, was just referring to a possible future user who might do such a thing.

LouisWu wrote 6 years ago: 1

It seems to me part of the problem is having a large range of possible votes, one through ten stars. People inevitably assign their own interpretations to what a '7' or a '4' means to them. If we offer fewer choices there will be fewer extremes. Even just like/dislike weighed against the number of votes could work.

wmulder wrote 6 years ago: 1

The highest I will vote for a show is 9, I don't believe any show warrants a 10.

Try 30 days of free premium.