Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 2

A thread to discuss British TV, both retro and recent series, with a bit of community chat about this and that.

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Good ta see this up  Brit  ....  been chompin' at the bit waiting for  ' All Creatures  '  to start on PBS  on  Sunday the 8th.  In the meantime  I've  been watching another run of  ' Anatomy of a Scandal '  with  Michelle Dockery  ... needed ta see more of  Lady  Mary .  lol  

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 3

Just finished 5th series of STRIKE, was absolutely amazing again, one of my favourite running BRIT shows.

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@JuanArango wrote:
Just finished 5th series of STRIKE, was absolutely amazing again, one of my favourite running BRIT shows.

Such a shame about the author 😔

@solar wrote:
Good ta see this up  Brit  ....  been chompin' at the bit waiting for  ' All Creatures  '  to start on PBS  on  Sunday the 8th.  In the meantime  I've  been watching another run of  ' Anatomy of a Scandal '  with  Michelle Dockery  ... needed ta see more of  Lady  Mary .  lol  

I am looking forward to it too. While I was on the bus driving through the Cotswolds, last year's Christmas Special was playing and I was reminded how lovely the series is. I  watched the whole thing. My problem is that I can't handle when the animals get very sick (or the worst, they don't make it)... I know, it's a show about vets and life is not always rosy, but it gets me every time and when that happens, I tend to stop watching. Hopefully, this season we will be able to keep our rose-colored glasses on and the only real strife will be among the humans! 🙂

@JuanArango wrote:

Strike is also one of my current favorite series. I am new to it, found it on HBO Max about six months ago and I just finished S3. I tend to binge each season once I start and then let a little time pass before I start the next. I don't want to rush through it! It is superb, everything I love in a show... the atmosphere - its' noir style - warm, likable characters, interesting plots - the list goes on.

tash845 wrote a year ago: 1

@BritMystery wrote:
Strike is also one of my current favorite series. I am new to it, found it on HBO Max about six months ago and I just finished S3. I tend to binge each season once I start and then let a little time pass before I start the next. I don't want to rush through it! It is superb, everything I love in a show... the atmosphere - its' noir style - warm, likable characters, interesting plots - the list goes on.

We just watched the first episode on HBO Max. It is so good! 

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 1

@tash845 wrote:

The chemistry between the two leads is so fantastic!

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 0

@tash845 wrote:

And, it only gets better from there, Tash. Enjoy!

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

@JuanArango wrote:
The chemistry between the two leads is so fantastic!

Agree! You can feel it right through the TV screen. 🔥 Can't say enough good things about this series. So glad to find others who like it as much as I do.

TonyMayhew wrote a year ago: 1

As a Brit, it's actually a bit odd why I've really not watched that much of the newer stuff that's been on offer to watch lately. The last new series I binged was Rogue Heroes, which I did thoroughly enjoy & I look forward to the next season.

I do love the older stuff tho, and am currently re-watching Heartbeat from the start. Gotta love the music featured in the series!

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

Thanks for putting this up, Brit.

First I'm hearing of Strike. Is that Martin Shaw I see in the cast?! Do I have the right show?

@deedee713 wrote:

First I'm hearing of Strike. Is that Martin Shaw I see in the cast?! Do I have the right show?

It is this one: https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/22390/strike

@deedee713 wrote:

Deedee, I sent you a message about it a few months ago.

obdue wrote a year ago: 2

Indeed, Strike is brilliant! The way the title theme is a 100% match to the tone of the show is absolutely amazing.
I'd like to mention two other series I love, in case somebody missed them by accident. https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/353/line-of-duty (Mercurio is a freaking genius) and https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1268/endeavour. I'm less of a fan of the last two series of Endeavour, but the first three are definitely must-watch, Evans/Allam duo is perfect.

obdue wrote a year ago: 4

Generally, there are two things I love the most about British scripted TV. The first is consistency, if you pick any of the big names (Mercurio, Knight, Cross, Moffat) you can basically watch anything with their name on it, with a 100% certainty that it's gonna be good. And the second thing is subtlety. Take diversity for example. While most of the American shows, especially recent ones, use diversity just for the sake of "representation", to mark some checkboxes and make social media hype, the British shows have had diversity for a long time and doing that without any loud announcements or other political agenda. They just cast good actors, write good scripts and hire good directors to top that off :)

@obdue wrote:
Indeed, Strike is brilliant! The way the title theme is a 100% match to the tone of the show is absolutely amazing.
I'd like to mention two other series I love, in case somebody missed them by accident. https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/353/line-of-duty (Mercurio is a freaking genius) and https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1268/endeavour. I'm less of a fan of the last two series of Endeavour, but the first three are definitely must-watch, Evans/Allam duo is perfect.

Line of Duty was marvellous, there are rumours for a short final season!

tash845 wrote a year ago: 2

@BritMystery wrote:
And, it only gets better from there, Tash. Enjoy!

It sure did! Did you watch the tv show Marcella? That was excellent and I do recommend it.

tash845 wrote a year ago: 1

@obdue wrote:
Generally, there are two things I love the most about British scripted TV. The first is consistency, if you pick any of the big names (Mercurio, Knight, Cross, Moffat) you can basically watch anything with their name on it, with a 100% certainty that it's gonna be good. And the second thing is subtlety. Take diversity for example. While most of the American shows, especially recent ones, use diversity just for the sake of "representation", to mark some checkboxes and make social media hype, the British shows have had diversity for a long time and doing that without any loud announcements or other political agenda. They just cast good actors, write good scripts and hire good directors to top that off :)

Yes, I agree with you. The British shows are so much better. I want to see something different, not the same show altered time and time again.

theprisoner6 wrote a year ago: 1

@tash845 wrote:
Yes, I agree with you. The British shows are so much better. I want to see something different, not the same show altered time and time again.

@tash by any chance, have you seen an episode of Britannia yet? Would like to hear any one else's take on this show.

p6

Try 30 days of free premium.